Monday, September 20, 2010

20:00 at the Wasch-n-Fun

To do laundry in my apartment, I have to knock on some stranger's door and buy some tokens to put in the machines. Like a carnival, but not as fun.

Instead, I decided to trek to Stühlinger, one of my favorite areas in Freiburg and only 10 minutes or so from my apartment. I found a place called Wasch-n-Fun, and I thought hey, it's Monday, I'm down for a good time.

For a while, it was just me and the furious sound of the washing machine. Like everything in Europe, washers and dryers are very small--like little R2D2s, with little buttons and knobs and strange, sad noises. My wash went through a lot in that hour. It started very gentle with a kitten-like kneading of the laundry. But after 45 minutes, the machine was shaking so furiously that my detergent was doing the Virginia Reel from corner to corner. I had no one to turn to to affirm the normality of the washer violence, as I can on airplanes during turbulence, when I gage my fear based on a rough evaluation of the other passengers' grips of their hand rests.

Student-types filtered in and out with their IKEA bags, sharing a smile which translated to "yeah, I ran out of underwear too."

Then, an older woman came in with a bouquet of flowers and began to pick up stray pieces of lint. I asked her if she needed help; she answered in muddled German, "no, we already have me, three Koreans and one Indian man working here."

So went my laundry experience. Not quite the romantic, meet-cute adventure you see in the movies, but at least I won't have to wear my bathing suit tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I can at least identify with your experience. Did laundry a few times on our various trips to Europe. You're right about the tiny washers. I remember one time hand washing a bunch of stuff at our hotel on Lake Constance. There was a laundry line outside our room on the roof so we wrung things out as much as we could and hung them on the line hopefully to dry overnight. Lo and behold they were still wet the next morning. Fortunatly, the hotel staff took pity on us and dried our clothes. One of the many unexpected kindnesses one finds when one travels.
    Keep up the great posts, I really enjoy reading them. Makes me feel as though I'm there.
    Love Ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yeah, I was never lucky with drying when I backpacked. Probably why I smelled so bad all of the time.

    Glad you like the posts--but soon, you WILL be here!

    ReplyDelete