Saturday, October 9, 2010

Day in the Seepark

The weather in Freiburg is freaky--almost like the weather in Virginia. From what I've heard, most of Germany right now has been experiencing dreary fall conditions for a while now. And yes, deep down I know that Freiburg weather will not always be so lovely. November is supposedly downright depressing--far from the sunny, golden days of jumping in piles of leaves and taking long strolls in sweatshirts. But yesterday in Freiburg, it was over 70 degrees. Not knowing how long I'd be so meteorologically blessed, I couldn't let such a day pass me by--even after having gone to the late show of Eat Pray Love and spending hours afterwards reading blogs and talking to Evan. I only wish we'd seen Eat Pray Love during the day, so that I could have enjoyed the satisfaction of walking out of a theater during a cheesy and underwhelming film, only to find a beautiful day worthy of the park.

The Gymnasium where I work is on the edge of such a park, called the Seepark. For some reason, I hadn't explored it until two young teachers showed it to me last week. There's a big lake with boats and lots of turtles, as well as chestnut trees and a Japanese Garden. I brought my journal and my camera along, just in case the creative spirit moved me. It was a good move.



Although it was warm enough to wear flip flops, I recognized signs of autumn for the first time. The leaves have started to turn and fall, making me long for the leaf-covered brick pathways at William and Mary. Oh, how I'll miss cider, Halloween and Williamsburg in the fall...



There was also a delightful old man, who confused me for a married woman. After learning otherwise, he leaned in for a kiss...


Instead, we compromised with a picture.



Japanese Garden



See y'all soon.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful park! Can't wait to see it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photography - did you use sepia on the tree shot? The water picture - texture - great.
    Should have given the old guy a kiss....made his day - and make Evan jealous, sell his belongings and boogie on over...

    ReplyDelete